The histotic Ambekke Devalaya
Situated 7 kilometers from
the town of Pilimathalawa in Kandy district and surrounded by tea
plantations and paddy fields, the historic Embekke Devalaya is an
ancient shrine and a temple dedicated to lord Kataragama.
Build by king Vikramabahu the 3rd of Gampola (A.D 1357-1374) the shrine
consists of three sections, the sanctum or the Garbha, the Digge or
dancing hall and the Hevisimandapaya or the Drummers hall.
Embekke is world famous for wood carvings in the pillars of the
drummer's hall which are considered to be some of the best exhibitions
of ancient Sri Lankan craftsmanship.
Embekke is a national heritage site which attracts a large number of
both local and foriegn tourists annually.
The annual perahhara pageant which features traditional dancers,
drummers, and decorated elephants attract a lot of devotees and
spectators and is presided by the Basnayaka Nilame who is the Patron of
Embekke Devalaya, Kandy is a wooden temple situated in the Ambakka
village, three kilometers from the Peradeniya Botanical Gardens. It was
built in the 14th century by King Wickremabahu III. Adajacent to the
main temple in the Embekke Devalaya, Kandy is a digge and inside the
temple there is a courtyard where originally the hewisi were played.
There are many legends which tell how the 'devale' or the 'devalaya'
came into existence.
(4Kms from Gelioya)
Built almost exclusively of
stone in 1344 by the Gampola King Wickramabahu, situated on a hilltop,
commanding views of the surrounding countryside.
The architecture is Dravidian. The entrance porch features large stone
pillars, which support a roof of huge stone slabs. Within the vihara, an
ancient stone and plaster Buddha image looks down upon milk rice pots
that have collected food offerings for centuries. The 638-year-Old jack
wood doors still exhibit their original paintings.
Completed in 1344, but in a
more traditional Sinhalese style.
Situated on a top of a gray rock above the fertile highland green, it
justifies its name: "the beauty spot on Lanka's brow."
The shrine contains an ancient Buddha image of brick and plaster, plus
devalas to the four guardian deities of the island, each with his
A Pali language rock inscription at the site records the valuable gifts
to craftsmen who toiled on the temple. Woodcarvers still work at the
foot of the rock on which the temple stands.
This is a Magnificent
building shining in white against the blue sky in the background. Being
a brick building in three stories, it has a peculiar architectural
Amidst the painted doors of wood and frescoes still bright with their
original paint on walls and ceilings in the shrine room is found a
superb seated image of the Buddha.